Anytime you are preparing to view a lakefront property for sale, there are some basic questions that you should get answered each time. I encourage you to print out this list and take it with you. Also, don’t forget your flashlight!
The Top 10 Questions to Ask When Viewing Lakefront Property
- Is the property serviced by an on-site Septic System? If so, has the system passed Title 5 within the past 2 years? Can you provide me with a copy of the report?
- If the property is serviced by town sewer, is there a betterment still to be paid? What is the yearly cost of town sewer?
- Does the property require flood insurance? If so, can I get a copy of the current policy?
- Are there any easements associated with the property? Can you provide a current copy of the deed?
- Can you tell me the conditions of the shoreline in the summer? Weed count, type?
- Are there any known defects in or around the property that I should know about? Have the current homeowners completed any upgrades? Was the work permitted? Request copies from town departments.
- Has the property been appraised recently? If so, when? Can you share how you arrived at the asking price?
- Does the lake have an active Lake Association? If so, can you provide contact information to me?
- How is the lake water level controlled? Is the water quality tested annually?
- What recreational activities are allowed / not allowed on the lake?